The UK Competitiveness Index 2005: The Changing State of the Nation 1997-2005 report represents the most up-to-date, thorough and authoritative benchmarking of the competitiveness of the UK's regions and localities, as well as setting UK competitiveness within an international context.
Since the UK Competitiveness Index was first introduced in 2000, the number of indicators and variables constituting the UK Regional and Local Competitiveness Indices has expanded. However, the fundamental methodology underlying them has remained the same. In this report we publish indices for 2005 (incorporating the most up-to-date data available) and retrospectively for 1997. This enables an examination of the changing competitiveness of the UK economy since 1997.
Due to space constraints it has proved impossible to list in full all the regional and local indicators prepared within the report. Therefore, a spreadsheet of the complete datasets is available in conjunction with this report for those interested in obtaining more detailed benchmarking or carrying out further analysis of their own.
The report contains the UK Regional Competitiveness Index as well as a range of regional indicators for 1997 and the most recent year currently available. These indicators relate to headline economic performance, the knowledge economy, the enterprise economy, trade competitiveness, education and the skills economy.
The report also introduces for the first time the UK Regional Share Index, which charts the progress of London Stock Exchange (LSE) listed companies by their regional location between 1997 and 2005. The UK Regional Share Index is a barometer of the changes in market sentiment towards LSE-listed businesses grouped by region.
One chapter of the report focuses on benchmarking the competitiveness of UK regions within an international context, as well as measuring the changing competitiveness of the UK economy as a whole in comparison with other nations around the globe.
The UK Local Competitiveness Index benchmarks the 434 local authority and district areas constituting the UK. Chapter 4 highlights the most and least competitive localities in the UK, as well as looking at those that have seen the biggest improvement or decline in their competitiveness since 1997.
The report includes a profile of the UK's 12 regions and contains the key competitiveness benchmarks relating to those localities within each of the respective regions.
The report concludes with an overview analysis of the findings, while further methodological details relating to the UK Competitiveness Index are contained with an appendix.
UK Competitiveness Index 2005: The Datasets
The following datasets are available to purchase in Excel spreadsheet format:
Regional Datasets (covering all 12 UK regions)
- R&D Expenditure (as % of GDP) Business enterprise sector 1997-2002
- R&D Expenditure (as % of GDP) Government sector 1997-2002
- R&D Expenditure (as % of GDP) Higher education sector 1997-2002
- Patents Applications per Million Inhabitants
- Gross Value Added (GVA) per head at current basic prices 1997-2003
- Economic Activity Rate 1997-2003
- Business Start-Up Rate per 1,000 Inhabitants 1997-2003
- Business Survival Rate (% over 12 months) 1997-2000
- Self-employed as proportion of all in employment aged 16+ 1997-2003
- Number of Businesses per 1,000 Inhabitants 1997-2003
- Proportion of Knowledge-Based Businesses 1997-2003
- £ of Imports per Head of Population 1997-2003
- £ of Exports per Head of Population 1997-2003
- Proportion of Exporting Companies 2001-2003
- Gross weekly pay 1999-2003
- GCSE Results - 5 or more grades A* to C 1998/1999-2001/2002
- Proportion of Working Age Population with NVQ Level 4 or Higher 1997-2003
- Unemployment rate - working age 1997-2003
- Employment Rate 1997-2003
- Output per Hour Worked (Index) 1997-2003
- UK Regional Competitiveness Index 1997-2005
- UK Regional Competitiveness Index of Inputs 1997-2005
- UK Regional Competitiveness Index of Outputs 1997-2005
- UK Regional Competitiveness Index of Outomes1997-2005
Local Datasets (covering all 434 UK local district and authority areas)
- Employment Rate: Working Age People Dec 1996-Nov 1997
- Employment Rate: Working Age People Dec 2003-Nov 2004
- Working-age people with NVQ level 4+ as % of all working age people Mar 1997-Feb 1998
- Working-age people with NVQ level 4+ as % of all working age Mar 2003-Feb 2004
- Business Start-Ups 1997 - Start-ups per 1,000 Inhabitants
- Business Start-Ups 2003 - Start-ups per 1,000 Inhabitants
- Business Density 1997 - Businesses per 1,000 Inhabitants
- Business Density 2003 - Businesses per 1,000 Inhabitants
- Gross weekly pay - Workplace Based Full Time 1999
- Gross weekly pay - Workplace Based Full Time 2003
- Claimant count as a Proportion of resident working age population estimates 1997
- Claimant count as a Proportion of resident working age population estimates 2004
- Economic activity rate - working age 1997
- Economic activity rate - working age 2003
- Proportion of Knowledge-Based Business 1997
- Proportion of Knowledge-Based Business 2003
- Gross Value Added (GVA) per capita 1997
- Gross Value Added (GVA) per capita 2002
- UK Local Competitiveness Index 1997-2005
- UK Local Competitiveness Index of Inputs 1997-2005
- UK Local Competitiveness Index of Outputs 1997-2005
- UK Local Competitiveness Index of Outomes1997-2005
UK Regional Share Index
- Monthly Regional Indices for 11 UK regions (excludes Northern Ireland) from Jan 1997 to March 2005
The report is available in several options:
Direct Download PDF format Report Only High Res 3.3mb
Direct Download PDF format Report Only Low Res 674kb
Direct Download PDF format + Excel Datasheets High Res 3.58mb
Direct Download PDF format + Excel Datasheets Low Res 955kb
Excel Datasheets Only Download
Printed Version Only
Printed Version + Excel spreadsheet
Excel Datasheets on CDROM
If you are not on broadband it is recommended that you purchase the Low Res format.